Monday, January 18, 2010

Word for the day : Pararhyme

Pararhyme : According to Wikipedia, it's "a near rhyme in which the consonants of two words are the same, but the vowels are different". I stumbled onto this strange device when researching one Wilfred Owen, who was the all-time foremost (also, the only) user of it. You can read about Wilfred here. You can read one of his works, Strange Meeting, that uses pararhyming here. . Here's the start of the poem, so you can see the pararhyming . It seemed that out of battle I escaped Down some profound dull tunnel, long since scooped Through granites which titanic wars had groined Yet also there encumbered sleepers groaned Too fast in thought or death to be bestirred Then, as I probed them, one sprang up and stared... . Kewl, huh? It definitely seems like something that works better in English than in, say, Spanish, French, or Mandarin. I really do need to check at my local library to see if they have anything by Owen.

No comments: