Tuesday, January 26, 2010

What percentage would cheat?

This is a continuation of the Tiger post below, wherein we asked what percentage of married people cheat on their spouses, or would if the chance presented itself. Obviously this isn't something that taking a poll would cover - most people would naturally say they would never do such a thing. So here's my proposed method... . Step 01. Write down (at least) 10 people that you are on at least a conversational basis with. Co-workers are ideal. People you go to church with don't count (anyone can act holy for an hour), but if you occasionally go out with them for lunch, then that's fine. Fellow club-members are also great, as is anyone you know well enough to invite to a party. Neighbors are okay if you occasionally talk to them and don't hate their guts. . Don't include yourself - too subjective. And don't include your spouse - we don't want to start a fight here. Brothers and sisters are okay, but not your parents. Don't include Tiger (he would); and don't include Mrs. Tiger (she wouldn't). Don't include South Carolina governor Mark Sanford (shown above); we know his answer too. . Step 02. No, no. I said to write the names down. . Step 03. Okay, take person #1, and imagine them coming to you and saying, "Can we talk?" Followed by something akin to "I need to tell this to someone. I'm having an affair." . Now add a plausible rationalization for that person to give. Some possibilities : "(Spouse) and me have drifted apart. We even sleep in separate beds." Or, "After years of being just friends, passion just sprang up between (lover) and me." Maybe, "I met someone who I think is my soulmate." How about, "I found out (spouse) is cheating on me, so I figured what's good for the goose is good for the gander." Whatever seems most likely for that person. . Step 04. Now step back and evaluate - is there even a remote possibility that that person could say something like that? Mark them either "Yes" or "No". . Step 05. Repeat the process with the other nine people on your list. . Step 06. Add up the "Yesses". Multiply by ten. Add ten percent cuz you gave one of those people the benefit of the doubt. What percentage did you get? . I ended up with 5 out of 10, which comes out to 60% once the self-delusion factor is added in. I know this exercise is pseudo-scientific. If you can think of a better way to determine this, by all means, speak up.

No comments: