Monday, April 13, 2009

Chicago at night

I flew into Chicago once at night - in the winter and in a snowstorm. After cruising blissfully at 30,000 feet and blue skies all the way from Las Vegas. Of course, below us it was cloudy, but who cared? . I was 18 at the time, heading back to college at Penn State. Flying standby, and stuck beside a middle-aged Jewish couple, who were quite aloof to the scruffy college kid sitting next to them when we left Vegas. But 5 or 6 drinks later (them, not me), we were old buddies. . Until we started descending into O'Hare. Into the pea-soup clouds. Then out over Lake Michigan (presumably), where we banked really sharply (still in the clouds) to make our final approach. . The dunken lady was clinging to my neck, and screaming at the top of her lungs, "WE'RE GONNA CRASH!!!" We didn't, of course. But my flight to Pittsburgh got delayed, meaning in turn that I missed the one and only evening flight from there to State College, where Penn State is located. Where I had to be the next morning in order to register for classes. . Long story short, we landed at Pittsburgh around 9:00 PM, where penniless, I somehow managed to snag a bus ticket for a 3:00 AM ride to State College. I got to my dorm around sunrise, essentially having been awake 24 hours. Woke up my roommate, whined about my karma, changed my shirt, and headed out to sign up for classes. . Oh yeah, the stupid airline also managed to lose my luggage in Chicago. What a great trip!

No comments: