Saturday, June 27, 2009

SCOTUS Review

Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett grabbed the headlines on Thursday, but SCOTUS also issued two important rulings that same day. STRIP-SEARCHING for IBUPROFEN We reported about this bit of Arizona stoopidity here. On Thursday, SCOTUS ruled 8-1 that subjecting a junior high age girl to a strip-search in search of two ibiprofen pills was illegal. The MSNBC report on the verdict is here. . However, just to keep me from gaining too much respect for them, SCOTUS also ruled that the girl couldn't sue the school officials that strip-searched her, and that maybe or mavbe not she could sue the school district. Huh? . The lone dissenter was - no surprise here - Clarence "Who put the pubic hair on my Coke Can" Thomas. I suspect he was fantasizing about doing a strip-search of Anita Hill (Wiki article about her and the Coke can here) during the hearing. Neverthless, it's nice to see the other three wingnut justices finally rendering an intelligent verdict. . THE RIGHT TO CROSS-EXAMINE FORENSIC EXPERTS This SCOTUS ruling also happened on Thursday. The short MSNBC article on it is here. . I'm happy for the result, but I was somewhat dumbfounded that SCOTUS split 5-4 on this case. Isn't the right to cross-examine your accusers a cornerstone of our judicial system? I sorta chalked it up to the four right-wing justices being dittoheads, but - SURPRISE SURPRISE - Antonin Scalia, a Ronald Reagan brownshirt appointee, wrote the majority opinion! . I think this is the second and third time Scalia and I agree on a SCOTUS case. Which now puts him two ahead of me-&-Clarence. I wonder if Scalia's getting smarter, or if I'm getting stupider.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Unrelated to the case, but related a bit to your picture...

Tonight, a commercial for Churches Fried Chicken came on, the ones where they rap "I know what good is." I was on the computer withmy back to the TV, not really listening, but sort of said snarkily, "They know what good is." Jason responded in the same tone, "Yeah. Good is following Jesus." My response, completely unplanned, "To Churches?" Oh man, we laughed. Had to share.

terry said...

God's trying to tell you something. I think it is : "You must eat chicken every Saturday!"