Monday, June 08, 2009

Mensa

It should be noted that all three of my siblings were - and AFAIK still are - members of Mensa. IIRC, one can "qualify" in two ways. . First, you can somehow get hold of your IQ records, and if you're in the top 2% of humanity (IQ >141, or somewhere around there), they just let you in. If it turns out you are one of the other moronic 98%, you still have a chance by agreeing to take Mensa's "beg us to let you join" test. . According to my brother/sisters, the main function of Mensa is to allow you to hold intelligent conversations with other geniuses. You pay a yearly fee for this privilege, and in addition to the witty repartee, you get a quarterly newsletter, which is mostly puzzles created by fellow Mensans. . In the end, I managed to resist the temptation to give my money to a bunch of elitists. I get all the puzzles I need in a Dell Crossword magazine for a fraction of the Mensa dues. The holiday/pool-party back-porch discussions at our house, which invariably center on politics, music, books, and philosophy, are plenty stimulating. So I'm content to mingle with the common, unwashed 98%.

No comments: