Monday, May 07, 2012

Cursive

   Do you remember, way back in 3rd grade, when you spent countless, tiresome hours in class practicing your cursive?  If your handwriting was as atrocious as mine, this was a traumatic experience.

    I had a nightmare Friday night, where (for some unknown reason) I was terribly agitated because I had forgotten how to write (in proper cursive) a small "v".  I was upset enough to wake myself out of the dream, only to find, much to my in-the-darkness chagrin, that I really had forgotten some of the cursive characters.



    So here's a quiz for you.  Get yourself some pen and paper, and write (in proper cursive, of course) the following :

    a capital "F" (or "T", they're pretty much the same)
    a capital "I"
    a small "v"
    a small "x" (this also gave me fits that night)
    a capital "Q" (yeah, good luck with that)

    And for extra credit, write down an alternative capital F/T, that I also had to learn back then, using something that I only now know to be "Palmer script".

    We'll post both scripts in a day or two.  But the point is this - Language evolves.  Both the written and the spoken.  No one uses cursive nowadays, except maybe to sign one's name.  And even then, the signature is usually a melange of printing and cursive.

    So RIP, cursive.  You're obsolete, and it's NBD.  I,. for one, won't miss you at all.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Hrmm...I got them all but the 'Q', but only because it's different than the way I learned it. The version they taught us didn't leave the opening on the side, you made a clockwise 'O' and then came across the bottom with the flourish. Weird, it even evolved back then when people were still teaching it. I enjoyed it as a kid, but I can see the logic behind not continuing. To each their own I guess.

terry said...

Heh. Now that you mention it, I remember that "Q" too. It was just a capital "O" with a squiggly in it.

Dawn says they still teach cursive. In 4th or 5th grade. So your kidlets will experience handwriting Nirvana. Or not.