Thursday, July 15, 2010

Sunrise In The West - Edith Pargeter

1974; 340 pages. Book #1 of the "Brothers of Gwynned" series. Genre : Historical Fiction. New Author: Yes. Overall Rating : 6½*/10.
.
.
I've always been interested in Welsh history (they have the coolest national flag, hands down), and I'm developing a taste for historical fiction. Edith Pargeter wrote a bunch of novels set in medieval Wales, as well as a bunch of murder-mysteries (under the pen-name Ellis Peters) set in 12th-century England, and featuring a sleuthing monk named Brother Cadfael. My library has about a dozen of these, and one of them will probably be the next book I borrow.
.
.
My review in 50 words or less...
SITW is the first in a 4-book series telling the story of Llewelyn The Last, followng him through his 20's as he unites the obstinate Welsh against the army of King Henry III of England. Initially slow-moving; it picks up nicely with time. For history-lovers only.
.
.
I would as lief show you the full review of Sunrise in the West here.

No comments: