Monday, August 03, 2009

Watchmen (The Movie)

2009, 162 minutes
MPAA Rating : "R"
My Rating : A
. Liz and I took a couple days off last week. It was too hot to do anything, so we watched a couple movies, including our first Blu-Ray. I'm not impressed. Watchmen wasn't the Blu-Ray one (that was something called "The Reader"), but the graphics were spectacular nonetheless. . What's To Like... If you liked the graphic novel, you'll like the movie. It doesn't stray from the book at all until the end, where it actually improves the literary clunky ending. Also, it ignores the "parallel" Pirate storyline, which I didn't see as adding anything to the book anyway. There's lots of action, and they handled Dr. Manhattan's penchant for nudism quite well. . What's Not To Like... Well, it helps if you've read the book first, as you have two sets of superheroes, and a villain or two to keep straight. Other than that, this was a great movie, although I never heard of any of the actors and actresses. . Oh, and if you haven't read the graphic novel, you ought to at least skim through it. There's a reason MPAA gave this an "R" rating; and that's because the book has violence, "adult situations", and gore galore. This ain't sanitized like a Superman flick; it's not suitable for little Timmy and Suzy. Come to think of it, it isn't suitable for Lassie either; the dogs die. . Watchmen The Movie gets an "A" and two thumbs up from me. So does the book. The other movie I watched (no, not The Reader. I skipped out early on that one) was not nearly as good. Stay tuned, and get off my lawn!

No comments: