Monday, September 22, 2008

There in this Dali-esque world...

The surreal decapitated sculpture from Saturday resides in stodgy, old Frankfurt, Germany. If you google-image something like "Frankfurt Head Sculpture", you'll find at least one more photo of it (on someone's Flickr page) buried there a couple pages back. With some comments in German indicating it is very close to this more-famous and less-interesting Euro sculpture. If you google-earth Frankfurt, Germany; by default it will plop you down almost exactly on top of the Euro statue. Just look for its shadow, and/or a cluster of photo icons. I've found several statues nearby - one of Goethe, one of Tillich, etc. But I've not yet been able to locate the head-&-torso.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

So wait - what's the building it's in front of?

Anonymous said...

Erm. Hee-hee. Ahem. Ummm. I was afraid someone would remember that.

My colleague who took this pic a couple months ago, says he thinks the building was a bank. I think it looks more a museum, but hey, he's the one that was there.

He also said it was in the touristy area of Franfurt, and right where the street makes a "Y" (splits). i've been all over that area of Frankfurt via Google Earth, and have yet to find anything that even remotely matches up with the torso and head.

Amanda said...

Weird. Makes you wonder if it was a temporary exhibit. Then again, something that big would be quite huge for shifting place to place. I still think it looks just like the krakow statue, which i think I read somewhere was supposed to represent the fall of the head of communism. I can't find what website I read that on, though.

Anonymous said...

Howdy,

You won't find the sculpture on any Google images as the satellite images are at best a few years old. At worst they are 5 years old :(

This is a temporary exhibit that's been moving around for a while. It was originally displayed in Krakow (Mitoraj was Polish, although born in Germany), moved to Barcelona (and I think Madrid also) and then moved on to Germany.

I don't recall exactly where it is at the moment, but I'm 100% sure that it is the Krakow sculpure.

Tschüs,

Sammy Satellite

terry said...

Sammy - once again, your explanation is just plausible enough for me to believe it. but i'm still smarting from thinking you wore a red shirt in the Bill Clinton Avenue pic.

therefore, what's your source for this info? surely there's something somewhere online about this.