Thursday, September 25, 2008

There goes the Wiccan vote...

Muthee also prayed that she'd get lots of money to finance her campaign. Yeah, like I'm sure God contributes lots of $$$ to right-wing political causes. Muthee, you're a joke. One thing to keep in mind. The rest of the Pentecostal denominations view the Assemblies of God as sort of having half-strayed from the Fundamentalist path. In their eyes, the AoG'ers are too worldly because they allow their women to wear make-up, wedding rings, and (gasp!) even pants at times. I spent 10+ (combined) years in the Pentecostal Church of God and the AoG. And Liz is a Pentcostal PK. Oh, the stories we could tell.

5 comments:

Amanda said...

I feel for you both...

terry said...

so if i may ask, what was your religious upbringing? i think i know more about Jason's than about yours.

Amanda said...

I was raised Roman Catholic. Bleagh. Learned that humility = humiliation. By the time I was 14, I knew I didn't want anything to do with Catholicism. I started looking around at other things, including taking some talks from Mormon missionaries when I was 15. Decided they were the same as the Catholics only with a different dogma, and from that point on I considered myself a nondenominational christian. AFter I met Jason, though, I was talked into atheism, which didn't work so well, but eventually put me at the agnosticism that I hold today. My take on religion is that whatever happens will happen, and I just don't care that much.

We did have an interesting household for awhile when I was a teen. I was the oldest, and fought my mom about Confirmation, and I used to tell her that if she forced me to go through it, I'd answer the priest's question of "am I ready" as "no" right in public during mass. In the end, we moved churches between my junior and senior year, and where my old church did confirmation in the senior year, the new one did it sophomore year, so I was lucky.

terry said...

did they imbue you as a child with a heavy dose of Catholic guilt? the Pentecostals are into feeling guilty too. i was raised UCC (think 'Lutheran'), and never had a well-developed sense of huilt. which made for some interesting times when I met Liz.

Amanda said...

They tried to do the guilt thing, but I never took well to passive-aggressiveness. Besides, it's really hard to feel guilty when one day your whole class is handed a 5-page long list of sins which include such things as little kids holding hands with their parents. I mean really, how does one cross the road when one's four?