Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Jury Duty

    Well, drat it all.  After lucking out the last two times I've been called for Jury Duty, the odds finally caught up to me.  So for the next six court days (weekends and Fridays don't count), I'll be hanging out at the Superior Court in Phoenix.  I haven't had to sit on a jury since 1998.


    I tried to get rejected.  I did my "psycho" routine which served me well the last two times.  That involves staring at the wall, and remaining stone-faced throughout the jury selection process.  I didn't lie about anything; I can't bring myself to do that.  But I did my best to act strange. 

    Court hours are 10:30 AM - 4:30 PM.  So I'll go in to work for a couple hours, then head on down to the court building.  I expect the sessions to go the full time, which means I'll be driving home on the "old" Maricopa freeway at the 5:00 rush hour.  I got my first taste of it today, and it was a b*tch to get home.

    The days will be stressful, so expect short posts here.  After listening to legalese yadda-yadda all day, I won't be in the mood to give lengthy discourses.  Besides, the gag rule is in effect, so mum's the word about any of the trial details until this is over.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Doh, the Pink Floyd shirt didn't get you out this time eh? Poo.

I'm right downtown if you feel like kickin' it someday. The kids are good for drilling the legalese out of your head. :P

terry said...

i didn't go with a t-shirt, which was probably my tactical error. i also chose a white polo-shirt instead of doing the Goth "all in black" wardrobe.

they have promised us that we will begin deliberations tomorrow, although that could be anywhere from mid-morning to late afternoon. i don't think it will take long to reach a verdict, but one never knows.

we should do lunch one of these days - the office might even be closer than the court building.