Thursday, May 26, 2011

Blogger Blues

I was forced into an involuntary blogging hiatus by the incompetency of Blogger.  Monday night, it decided that I needed to stay logged onto it forever.  When I tried to log out, it threw me back to the Dashboard.  I could of course go to a different website, but if I tried to go back to Blogger, it still just threw me back to the Dashboard.  Even after I rebooted, it did this.

    I thought maybe I had picked up a virus, but checking at Blogger's Help Site found that lots of others were suddenly having the same problem.  Blogger has acknowledged this is a "known issue", but as of tonight, they still haven't fixed it.

    This is moderately annoying for me, as I have three different Blogger accounts, and the glitch means I am always signed in as only one of those.  For those of you who use a PC at, say, work or a library or an Internet café, the problem is more serious.  Since you can't ever log out, the next person using your computer has easy access to your blog.

    Fortunately, there is a way (two, actually) to negate this.  Neither is without drawbacks, but they are relatively simple.


    First, find the "gear cog" icon at the top of your Internet Explorer.  Mine's at the upper right, but yours may be in a different location.  Click on it, then follow one of the two options below.

01.) Click on "Internet Options".
02.) Under the "General" tab, find the "Browsing History" section.
03.)  Click on "Delete".
04.) Click on "Delete".

- or -

01.) Click on "Internet Options".
02.) Click on the "Advanced" tab.
03.) Click on "Reset".
04.) Click on "Reset".

   I've done the second option and it works.  But you lose all your "cookies", including password-remembrance and user-recognition.  So any site you go to will act like you're new there.  Hopefully, Blogger will fix this FUBAR shortly, and all of this will be obsolete.  But you never know.

P.S. The image is of Lanny Poffo, who old WWF fanatics will remember as "The Genius".  He is also the real-life brother of the recently-deceased Randy "Macho Man" Savage.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Ugh, what a pain. :/ Fingers crossed that they work it out soon, I don't like being without my blogs either. :(

terry said...

happily, tonight it didn't do it when I posted this. so maybe they've fixed it. or maybe it just happens sometimes.