Monday, May 04, 2009

I'm seeing a shrink(age)

Beginning yesterday, they reduced the Sunday comics section in The Arizona Republic from 6 pages to 4 (or 1½ full sheets to just one).
I guess I can live with that, as the five strips that got the axe were pretty yucky. Shylock Fox and his quizzes for kids, Zippy The Pinhead (which in 30 years I've found funny exactly twice), etc.
.
What I can't live with is the shrinkage they did to the remaining strips. They're squeezing some of them in a half a page wide. That's okay if it's something minimalist like BC. But Doonesbury often has lots of text, and yesterday was no exception. Even with my reading glasses, it's anybody's guess what the three vets were talking about.
.
The crazy thing is, the comics are the one thing everybody reads in a newspaper. Not the world news; not the business section, and not even the sports page. Start chopping away at the comics, and pretty soon it will be more convenient to read 'em all on-line. Then there isn't much reason to susbscribe to the paper, other than twice a week - once for the sales blurbs (Sunday) and once for the coupons (Wednesday).

No comments: