Friday, February 27, 2009

Chilling

I was watching YouTube videos of Ike & Tina Turner doing "Proud Mary" the other night. YouTube has at least a half-dozen different videos of this; I guess I don't have a full appreciation of just how many gazillions of clips they have in their database. . This is a nice version - pieces from at least three different concerts spliced seamlessly together, the last one in the early 70's. It's the ending to this one that gives me the chills. By now, Ike is merely background - Tina and her dancers are the whole show. Nevertheless, the clip ends with her acknowledging Ike. Unfortunately, the audience is chanting "Tina! Tina! Tina!". . The look Ike gives the audience could freeze boiling water. See if you agree. . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_MqvP3VL74

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh Terry, you just won't let it rest, will you? ;) And ps - I haven't watched the video. (evil laugh)

My brother once had a teacher whose staff picture proved he could frighten kittens with just a glance. Then again, he also had a pirate teacher (the guy had an eyepatch and a wooden leg, no joke) and another that looked exactly like Ghandi. Math departments...

terry said...

oh but you have to at least watch the video!

besides Ike's seethingly jealous glare, what really impressed me was the way Tina and the dancers have to do this high-energy choreographed routine - night in and night out for years upon years - and look like they are thrilled to peaches with doing it every single time.