Thursday, February 19, 2009

Amreica : Wher Ouality iz Jobb Wun

When I was a kid, the hottest topic for discussion (well, next to "Mary Ann or Ginger?") was "Ford or Chevy?" Except in our house, where my non-conformist Dad was a firm believer in the Slant-6 engine found in Dodges and Plymouths. .. Nowadays, there is an inane movement to try to guilt everyone to "Buy American". Alas, according to a 2008 Consumer Reports article, the 10 most reliable cars were : 01. Toyota Prius 02. Lexus LS 03. Toyota Highlander 04. Lexus IS 05. Toyota RAV-4 (4-cyl) 06. Honda Civic 07. Honda Accord (4-cyl) 08. Toyota Corolla 09. Mazda MX-5 Miata 10. Honda CR-V . And the 10 least-reliable cars were : 01. Buick Terraza 02. Chevrolet Uplander 03. Saturn Relay 04. Land Rover Discovery & LR3 05. Volkswagen Touareg 06. Pontiac Aztek 07. Nissan Armada (4-WD) 08. Chevrolet S-10 (4-WD) 09. GMC S-15 (4-WD) 10. Chevrolet Blazer . Any questions why ours has been a Toyota house for 25 years?

5 comments:

Amanda said...

I have two comments. 1) I wish I could afford a toyota. 2) I'm surprised a VW ended up in the bottom 10.

Amanda said...

Woah. Somehow your review of The Eyre Affair has gotten linked to from some promotional website called stumbleupon.com. I can't find the actual link, but we've had over 100 hits in the last two hours from that host, all going to your review.

terry said...

weird. i've never been to that website, so it makes me wonder what triggered it. it certainly wasn't a stellar review by me.

still, stranger things have happened. one of the reviews at 50BooksProject is cited as a reference in a Wikipedia article. i can't remember what books/author it was anymore, but judging from the comments at 50BP, they didn't create the link at Wiki. bizarre.

Amanda said...

Yeah, I remember seeing that wiki thing. Jason tells me stumbleupon.com is a like an odd form of social or page networking. Someone must have seen your review, liked it, and linked to it over there. They didn't link to the blog itself, but to your specific review. I looked more at the page that it came from, and there was a link to the "1 review" of your page, but that link took me to a page where i could write a review, and that really didn't help. So I'm not sure what it's all about. Cool, though. Lots of hits.

terry said...

i *think* stumbleupon was a website touted by a friend of Jason's when they set my PC up with Firefox. but that was a couple years ago, and said friend has since moved to Seattle. i was supposed to check out stumbleupon and be amazed how cool it was. but i never got around to it. perhaps i should finally do that.