Saturday, October 18, 2008

It sucks to be in Journalism

Our local newspaper, the Mesa Tribune, announced recently that as of the new year, they will stop putting out a daily newspaper. Instead, it will come out four times a week, and in "long-tabloid format", whatever that is. . In fairness, it has to be said that they will also become a free publication. That's nice, but I get the newspaper primarily for the sports section and the comics. For the news, I rely on Msnbc.com. So the Trib is really going to become irrelevant to me.
For me, it's a philosophical issue. I will probably subscribe to the Arizona Republic. Frankly, their sports and comics are already better than the Trib's anyway.
.
But if you happen to have a career in Journalism, life sucks right now, and it's going to get worse before it gets better. And if you happen to work for the Trib, it's going to be an especially depressing Holiday season.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I'm playing the tag game, here.