Thursday, August 23, 2012

Kleenex Police


    I never post about my job.  I keep my personal life and my professional life separate, and frankly, most of the latter would be boring to others.  But we'll make an exception just this once.

    I went to get a box of Kleenex today,  They're kept at 2 or 3 places in the office, and I was surprised to not find any anywhere.  I figured they'd been moved to some new place, so I went to the office manager to find out where.  And I was updated on the situation.

    Kleenex boxes are now kept under lock and key.  You're allowed one box at a time only (no keeping a spare), and if you do get a new box, the date they gave it to you is marked on a list alongside your name.  The office manager pleasantly noted this was my first box since the new protocol.  The program's been in effect for some time now, and I apparently am not a heavy user.

    My company is not normally a Dilbert zone, so there is a rational explanation.  It is suspected that employees have been taking boxes of tissues home for personal use.  Been there.  At the previous place I worked, it was toilet paper.  Employees would take rolls of it home by the dozens.

    So I understand the need to do something.  But seriously, folks?!  Monitoring employees' Kleenex usage seems a bit draconian to me.  And no, I'm not one of the perps.

No comments: