Thursday, April 15, 2010

Steel-Toed Boots

Yesterday was a 12-hour workday, involving a long drive for a business visit to a mine about 4 hours north of Phoenix. I remembered to take my hard hat and safety glasses, but their safety program also requires steel-toed boots. Of which I don't have any. . Just what those steel-toed boots protect you from is anybody's guess. If I accidentally drop, say, a 20-pound rock, why is it assumed it will land on my toes, and not on the rest of my foot? . But no matter. If you don't have steel-toed boots, you are given "clackers" to wear. Think "metal galoshes". They're called clackers because they go clack clack clack as you walk. And all the miners try not to snicker as you clack by.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Lol, we had the "Frankenboots" at the place I worked at last. Everyone got a big laugh out of them whenever they were used. They really are beasts!

If you're looking for a pair, try online. I was able to find some really nice oxfords that looked a lot like Skechers. Very stylish and except for the weight you'd never know they were steel toe. ;)

terry said...

this was actually a Tech Support job for our erstwhile JV. hopefully, my visits to mines will be few and far between.