Sunday, April 18, 2010

It All Started With Columbus - Richard Armour

1953 (with updates in 1961 and 1971); 129 pages. Full Title (1971 version) : It All Started With Columbus - A Merry Mangling of American History from Columbus to Nixon. 1971 Price (New) : $1.95. 2009 Price (Used) : $2.00. Genre : Humor. Overall Rating : 7*/10.
.
.
I loved this book as a kid. I'd borrow it again-and-again from the local library, just to memorize its puns. This is one of the books that got me reading on my own and going to the library every other week.
.
.
My review in 50 words or less...
A tongue-in-cheek recounting of American History. Full of clever wordplay and puns. Cleaner than "G-Rated", despite dealing with topics like slavery, Hitler, Communism, and the Ku Klux Klan. Funny footnotes and rib-tickling tests. Proof that humor doesn't need sex, cussing, and racial stereotypes to make it funny.
.
.
The "Remember Richard Armour" version of this review is here.

No comments: