Friday, November 20, 2015

Book Excerpt for the Day


    “Ben – may I call you Ben?” Narf-win-Getag asked, settling down in his chair.

    “By all means, Mr. Ambassador,” Ben Javna said.  Being of inferior rank to the ambassador, Javna had remained standing and had moved out in front of his desk.  Staying behind the desk would have been considered a breach of etiquette.

    “Thank you,” Narf-win-Getag said.  “I know my people have a reputation for being socially standoffish, but in private we can be just as relaxed as any sentient being.  I even encourage my secretary to call me ‘Narf’ when we are doing private business.”

    “And does she, Mr. Ambassador?” Javna asked.

    “Oh, of course she doesn’t,” Narf-win-Getag said.  She wouldn’t dare.  But it’s nice of me to offer, don’t you think?”


    (from The Android’s Dream by John Scalzi)

    8*/10.  The complete review is here.
.

No comments: