Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Aretha Franklin - Sweet Passion


Artist  :  Aretha Franklin
Album Title  :  Sweet Passion  (1977)
Genre  :  Soul

- TRACKS -  (favorites in pink)
01. Break It To Me Gently
02. When I Think About You
03. What I Did For Love
04. No One Could Ever Love You More
05. A Tender Touch
06. Touch Me Up
07. Sunshine Will Never Be The Same
08. Meadows Of Springtime
09. Mumbles
10. Sweet Passion

    I'm not much of a Soul Music fan. but thanks to my wife and son, I am slowly developing a taste for it.  Which is easy to do when the singer has the pipes like Aretha does.

    I found this LP in the clearance bin at my local Half Price Books store, for the modest price of $1.  The album has no major scratches, but lots of small ones.  And no skips.  Conversion was easy, but I tried to take the scratches out manually, and it is iffy whether I caught enough of the minor scratches to justify skipping the De-Popper Software Program.  I'm beta-listening to it as I write this; so far only two tracks need significant cleansing.

    For some reason, Sweet Passion has never been released in the US on CD.  To boot, neither Amazon nor iTunes offers it in digital form.

    Aretha's voice is impeccable here, and the backing musicians are up to the task of complementing her singing.  Other than the "I got the music in me" intro to Track 9, none of the songs are familiar to me, but that's probably a function of my not listening much to Soul.

   For the life of me, I cannot fathom why this hasn't been released as a CD yet.

No comments: