Sunday, August 11, 2013

Happy Shark Week


    I learned to read music at a very early age, thanks to a little, wrinkly, ancient, German lady who taught me to do something called solfege.  Basically, you sing the written music.

    She used solfege in conjunction with giving us piano lessons.  I don't think we (my sister and I) were even in grade school yet at the time.  I did okay on the piano until it came time to start playing with two hands, and where the left hand did something totally unrelated to the right hand.

    This is akin to rubbing your belly while patting your head, and I never did get the hang of it.  Inevitably, both hands would end up playing the same thing, just an octave or two apart.  Thus endeth my piano career.

    But the solfege lessons stuck, and I've been able to read music ever since.  Which comes in handy when someone posts a joke like this.

No comments: