Monday, July 22, 2013

Etherfysh - Box Of Fysh


    Box Of Fysh by Etherfysh is almost 80 minutes of New Age music, which somehow manages to be both complex and relaxing without being boringly repetitive.

    Frankly, I know nothing about Etherfysh.  The lone review of their/his other album mentions that it's a project by UK-based Chris Christou, but since I have never heard of him either, that's of little help.  However, I am a big fan of Tangerine Dream, and Etherfysh's sound matches up closely with that of TD, so I liked this album right off the bat, and have been playing the snot out of it at work.

- Tracks  (favorites in pink) -
01. Sanctaury
02. Garuda
03. Orange
04. Rama
05. River of Mills
06. Sidewalk

    Rama is my favorite track, but as is the case with most New Age CD's, you'll judge the album as a whole, not the individual tracks.  In short, the whole album is strong.

 Amazon sells the MP3-version of this album for $5.94, which is a heckuva deal for this much music.  But if your local library offers Freegal, you can find it there.  Which is how I stumbled across this album.

    Freegal is a fantastic resource for those who enjoy discovering obscure artists.  Many thanks to Etherfysh for posting his/their work through that medium.  I am frankly dumfounded that this band/album isn't better-known.  Box Of Fysh has apparently been around since 2005, yet there is no Wikipedia entry for either Etherfysh and Chris Christou.

    Indeed, ANAICT, there aren't even any YouTube videos out there with Etherfysh music.  Was there zero promotion of this album?  Has Chris Christou moved on, leaving his aspiring music career behind?  Has no one else discovered this album via Amazon or Freegal?  What gives?

    Ah, but I'm in the process of learning the ins and outs of making music videos and putting them on YouTube.  I confine myself to tracks that no one else has posted there yet, and so far I've done one on each of the past two Saturdays.  Those have both been 4-minute songs; Etherfysh tunes are just getting started at that point.  So it would be quite the challenge to make a video to one of these tracks.  We shall see.

No comments: