Thursday, June 02, 2011

HippieFest is coming


    Something called HippieFest is coming to Phoenix, on 05 August, and at Comerica Theater.  Which I think is Dodge Theater under new ownership.  Or Celebrity Theater.  Or Cricket Theater.  Hopefully not that last one; it's outside.

    HippieFest is proclaimed to be a celebration of the Summer of Love (that was 1967 for you young'uns), and the acts include :

Dave Mason  (formerly of Traffic)
Mark Farner  (formerly of Grand Funk Railroad)
Rick Derringer  (formerly of The McCoys)
Gary Wright  (formerly of ??)
The Rascals

    Sad to say, the only one I'd really like to see is Dave Mason, and that's mostly because of his post-Traffic solo material.  The McCoys had only one hit (Hang On, Sloopy), and I'm not keen on Derringer's solo work.  The Rascals would be interesting, and I admit I used to have a couple of their albums.  But there's a reason those LP's are no longer in my collection.

    So I doubt I'll be going to this, despite the fact that it should really appeal to me.  Now if they could get Janis, and Jimi, and Jim-the-Lizard-King to show up, I'd have to reconsider.

No comments: