Saturday, May 15, 2010

What Is The What - Dave Eggers

2006; 535 pages. Award : 2009 Prix Medicis Etranger. New Author for me?: No. See here. Genre : Fictional autobiography; modern literature. Overall Rating : 6½*/10.
.
.
This book first caught my eye at Target a few years ago. At the time, I had no idea who Dave Eggers was, but the dialogue in the book looked intriguing. It finally showed up at my local used-book store.
.
.
My review in 50 words or less...
The story of a "Lost Boy of Sudan". When Arab raiders ravage his village, he flees - along with thousands of other young boys - across hundreds of miles of desert to squalid refugee camps, and eventually to the US. Well-written and heart-wrenching. But it dragged at times.
.
.
The tear-at-your-heartstrings version of the review is here.

No comments: