Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Funeral Games - Mary Renault

1981; 328 pages. Book 3 of Mary Renault's "Alexander The Great" trilogy. Genre : Historical fiction. New Author?: Yes. Overall Rating : 8*/10.
.
.
I'm not sure why I don't read more historical fiction. Maybe I will now, since I enjoyed this one. Mary Renault (1905-1983) wrote eight Greek-themed historical novels. This was her final book, published two years before her death.
.
.
My review in 50 words or less...
It's 323 B.C. Alexander The Great is dying, has named no successor, and has left no heir. Funeral Games chronicles the bitter fights for the throne. Lots of intrigue and skullduggery, with strong women characters in this historically accurate novel. Recommended to all history buffs.
.
.
The effulgent version of this review is here.

No comments: