Saturday, July 14, 2007

UFO - The Monkey Puzzle (2006)

Artist : UFO
Album : The Monkey Puzzle (2006)
Genre : Rock
Rating : ***** **** (out of 10*)

UFO, a UK band, has been putting out albums since 1971, and yet this is my introduction to them. That tells you something about the pre-programmed drivel you hear on radio nowadays. The whole album is good, honest rock & roll; the way Van Halen would sound if they had any talent.

What's To Like...
ALL the musicians - the lead guitar, the bass guitar, the drummer, the harmonica player, et. al. - turn in stellar efforts. A nice mix of blues-influenced hard rockers (2/3 of the tracks), blended nicely with 2 or 3 melodic ballads. Very little, if any, "filler".

What's Not To Like...
Hmmm. Not much, since I'm giving this nine stars. I'm told, and will accept, that Phil Mogg's voice ain't what it used to be. All 11 songs are made for radio-play; apparently UFO in the early days was a prog-rock band. And those who have followed this band for 30 albums and 36 years say "this just isn't vintage UFO".

Vintage Schmintage...
Hey, I haven't heard "vintage UFO", so as far as I'm concerned, this is the best rock album I've heard in the past year. Beats the heck out of Nickelback rubbish. If their past efforts are better, then I'm looking forward to hearing more UFO albums.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude!

You followed up on one of my recommendations (despite my warnings) :-)

Mogg still sings well, but has too many 'whoa yeah' stylistic touches that get repeated throughout.

The band (who recorded this CD in separate studios/countries) do a good job. I've always liked Vinnie for his melodic approach to soloing.

Vintage UFO it ain't - No "lights Out" or "Doctor Doctor" here, but it's an entertaining rock'n'roll romp and well worth buying.

That is all.

Al.

terry said...

Your recommendations are usually superb, Black Sabbath notwithstanding.

Jason found a vinyl version of UFO's "Obsession" album and says it is quite good also.

I think there's a different perspective when one doesn't know the "vintage" stuff. Kinda like getting acquainted with Deep Purple, say in the 80's, and having someone say it's just not like they used to play in their "heyday". 80's DP is very good music, but I had a bit of a struggle growing to like it cuz I kept waiting for another "Book of Taleisin" album. It just wasn't gonna happen.