Thursday, September 12, 2013

Photoshopping in 1909


    An incredible image done by my grandfather in 1909.  The text at the top is what was written on the back of the photo.

    I'm pretty sure that's Grandpa seated at the table, contemplating the bottle.  But that's not a label on the bottle; it's an image of a friend of his.  There is some scratchiness around the bottle's edge, so I'm guessing he superimposed the second, smaller portrait image on the larger photograph.

   But how?  I don't have the negative, and for all I know, it might have even been an old "thick glass" one, since the picture's in sepia.  But I'll vouch for the positive "as is".

    Grandpa did some other image-manipulation tricks - like putting a mirror image of his young daughter in a picture to make it look like they were twins.  But unless he traveled forward in time, bought a copy of Photoshop (and a computer), I'm at a loss to explain how he pulled this off.

No comments: