Sunday, April 14, 2013

The Unforgettable Glenn Miller (Boxed Set)





    This is my latest music conversion project - a 6-LP boxed set of Glenn Miller songs.  This is 1940's (and earlier) Big Band music.  I'm not a big fan of this genre, but it did bring back old memories of the Junior High School "dance band" that I was in, way back in the early 60's.  We played some of the tracks in this collection.

    The Unforgettable Glenn Miller collection was put out by Readers Digest in 1968.  I won't list all 70 tracks here; overall I enjoyed the ones that didn't have any singing more.

    The LP's themselves were in pristine condition.  I'm not sure if that is due to the erstwhile owner being an audiophile, or if he simply never played them.  I decided not to run the de-scratching program on the discs, opting instead for manual removal.

    The first three LP's were essentially mint condition.  LP's 4 and 5 were apparently the ones the guy listened to most often; they had a few scratches.  LP 6 was in near-mint condition.

    There were no skips - forward or nackward - and none of the LP's were warped to any appreciable degree.  Each LP sleeve had a track-by-track discourse which was very enlightening; and Readers Rigest included a short brochure called "The Miller Magic", recounting Miller's life.

    Glenn Miller disappeared on December 15, 1944 on a flight from England to Paris, where he was to make arrangements for his band to play for the troops.  You can read about the verious theories concerning his death here.

    I don't generally post YouTube links on this blog, but here is one of what is probably my favorite track from this set.  Bugle Call Rag. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iV4iViKWRe8

No comments: