Saturday, February 25, 2012

Steve and I/Me

Two comics from this past week.  Both hilarious.  Both good strips to read every day.


But I'm a grammar-nazi.  So I have an issue with Panel #2 above.  I really think it should be "Steve and me", not "Steve and I".  The applicable rule is given in the comic below.


    And yes I know, we were all taught in grade school to use the "Steve and I" convention.  But is it right?  Listen.  remove the "Steve and" words from Panel 2 of the top strip, and it's obvious that "me" is correct.  So why would the inclusion of  "Steve and" change that?

    Alternatively, replace "Steve and I" with "Steve and him" and do the same exercise.  It's never "Steve and he".  So why should a first-person pronoun be any different from a third-person pronoun?

    Language is a living organism.  It is constantly changing.  We can't read 10th-century English (think "Beowulf") because of this.  And in 50 years, the rule here will be "Steve and me".  Trust me.  I've traveled forth in time and can confirm this.   

No comments: