Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The White Album


   The Beatles' White Album wasn't my first LP, but it was in my first dozen or so.  I bought it "hot" my freshman year at Penn State, from the guys in the dorm room next to ours.  Basically, they spent their whole year shoplifting and selling their wares.  The really kewl thing was you could "order" LP's from them.  And that's what I did for this one.

    The White Album is arguably the Fab Four at their finest.  Back in the USSR, Rocky Raccoon, Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da, (They Say It's Your) Birthday, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Piggies, Helter Skelter (calling Charlie Manson - we want this song back), Savoy Truffle, Revolution 1, etc.

    Unfortunately, they only had 3 sides' worth of songs.  Which means some had to go and they'd issue a single LP.  Or some worthless filler had to be added, and they'd issue a double LP.

    Thus it was that "Revolution Number 9" was born.  Which is really just our boys, obviously stoned out of their gourds, playing around with all those kewl sound effects in the studio.  I'm sure it seemed awesomely radical at the time.  But jeez guys.  Did you listen to it the next day when you were straight again?

No comments: