Sunday, July 17, 2011

Paring down the vinyl

   Okay, I'm a pack-rat.  And I'm OCD.  And although those two terms aren't synonymous, they do go hand in hand.  So when Liz demanded I start getting rid of some of the LP's that have taken over the computer room, I knew better than to argue.


    I admit her logic is persuasive.  These are albums I've already converted to MP3 files.  I paid anywhere from $2 to nothing for them, and for the sole purpose of converting them.  They have no resale value whatsoever.  There's no earthly reason to keep them.  But still... 


    So I packed up a milk-crate's worth of them and headed to RockZone Saturday afternoon.  RockZone only gave me $6 trade-in, but really, that's just fine with me.  I had done my due diligence, and was ready to leave.  When...


    ... I just had to go through the 50-cent aisle.  And the $1 one.  And the $2 one. And there were just such great finds there!

   There were three Kim Carnes albums.  I've been listening to her a lot lately.  And four-count-em-four Brothers Four LP's.  I've only found two of theirs in the past year or so.  And other obscure gems as well.  The Blues ProjectThe New Riders of the Purple SagePure Prairie LeagueThe Nitty Gritty Dirt Band.  Another Doug Kershaw album.  Kingston Trio albums from their Decca days.  The Alan Parsons ProjectThe VenturesLeo Kottke.  A Bette Midler album I'd never seen before.  Eric Burdon & The Animals.

    In the end, I walked out of there with 24 albums, two of which were double-albums, and a third which was a triple-album.  Grand total of discs : 27.  Total cost : $7 (plus another $6 trade-in allowance).  Grand total of disks sold or given to RockZone : 32.

    Liz of course was not surprised to see me lugging in an armload of albums upon my return from RockZone.  Nor was she pleased.  Which I don't understand.  I did reduce the number of LP's in the computer room. By five. Which means there are now only about 300 in the room anymore. Waiting to be converted.

    Really, what did she expect?

No comments: