Sunday, October 17, 2010

Big Bad John - Jimmy Dean

Album : Big Bad John & Other Fabulous Songs & Tales
Artist : Jimmy Dean
Release Year : 1961
Genre : Country & Western
Overall Rating : 8*/10
. Jimmy Dean passed away earlier this year (13 June), and I probably should've done a RIP posting on him. I remember hearing the hit, Big Bad John, as a kid; but I couldn't have told you any other songs by him. When I saw this LP in the freebie bin at my local used-record shop, I snagged it and converted it. . Nor surprising for a freebie, the vinyl was a holy mess. A zillion major scratches and a gazillion minor ones. I took the big ones out, but left the little ones, so there's a lot of "static" to put up with. Thankfully, the disc wasn't warped and there were no skips. . Jimmy Dean is first and foremost a story-teller. His singing voice is okay, and his supporting band is adequate, but you play his albums mostly to sing along. Big Bad John was a crossover hit, topping both the Pop and Country Charts. It even hit #2 in the UK. . I was surprised how many other of the tracks on this LP I had heard before. I don't think my dad had any Jimmy Dean records, and I'm certain none of my college roommates did. It was a laborious convert, but it's an album I'll enjoy, as long as I don't play it on a good stereo system. . Complete track listing (my favorites in pink) :
01.) Big Bad John (3:00)
02.) Smoke, Smoke, Smoke That Cigarette (2:45)
03.) Sixteen Tons (2:40)
04.) Make The Waterwheel Roll (1:55)
05.) Gotta Travel On (2:17)
06.) Oklahoma Bill (3:42)
07.) Night Train To Memphis (2:28)
08.) Grasshopper Mac Clain (3:14)
09.) I Won't Go Huntin' With You Jake (2:49)
10.) To A Sleeping Beauty (5:16)

No comments: