Thursday, April 12, 2007

So long, Kurt Vonnegut

Kurt Vonnegut (11/11/22 - 04/11/07}

I first got acquainted with Kurt Vonnegut when I read "Breakfast of Champions" in High School. I didn't know anything about him or his works. But I did know that BoC was a short book, easy reading, and some of the pages had drawings on them, a few of which were even suggestive. In other words, it was a perfect way to fulfill a book report requirement. Indeed, I can only think of one better novel for a slacker's book report - "Flowers For Algernon".

I remember being mostly confused by BoC, but it served its purpose. Several decades would pass before I came to appreciate his writing, his politics, and his personal convictions.

Rest In Peace, Kurt. The world will be a bit emptier without you.

No comments: