Friday, March 19, 2021

Book Excerpt for the Day

    He seized it with both hands, with extraordinary violence, and tried to tear it off his own body, and, failing, punched it in an access of rage.


    “Easy!” I said.  “Be calm!  Take it easy!  I wouldn’t punch that leg like that.”


    “And why not?” he asked, irritably, belligerently.


    “Because it’s your leg,” I answered.  “Don’t you know your own leg?”


    He gazed at me with a look compounded of stupefaction, incredulity, terror and amusement, not unmixed with a jocular sort of suspicion.  “Ah Doc!”, he said.  “You’re fooling me!  You’re in cahoots with that nurse – you shouldn’t kid patients like this!”



    (from The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by Oliver Sacks)

 

    9*/10.  The complete review is here.

.

No comments: