Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Book Excerpt for the Day


    “I can’t believe you didn’t pack any weapons.  Some kind of handgun adapted for Martian air.”

    “Believe me.  I didn’t.”

    She hesitated.  “OK.  Well, I did.  In the back of the food lockers, on both the gliders.  I stowed away crossbows.  To work them, you just have to-“

    “Found them.  Took them out.  Dumped them.  Sorry, kid.”

    She felt unreasonably enraged.  “Why the hell?  Listen to me, Dad.  Weapons like that have helped keep me alive a long time in the Long Earth-“

    “Don’t hold with weapons.  Wouldn’t expect that from a guy from Wyoming, would you, Frank?  Weapons kill people, in the hands of idiots.  And since most of the human race are idiots-“

    (from The Long Mars by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter)

    4½*/10.  The complete review is here.
.

No comments: