Monday, June 17, 2019

Book Excerpt for the Day


    “Of course I wish now that I had asked you or Mr. Lascelles to come with me.  Men of the world prefer to be talked to by other men of the world.  I know that now.  Perhaps I should have done some magic to shew him – turned the teacups into rabbits or the teaspoons into goldfish.  At least then he would have believed me.  But I do not think the old lady would have been pleased if I had done that.  I do not know.  What is your opinion?”

    But Drawlight, who had begun to believe that if anyone had ever died of boredom then he was almost certain to expire within the next quarter of an hour, found that he had lost the will to speak and the best he could manage was a withering smile.


    (from Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke)

  7½*/10.  The complete review is here.

No comments: