Wednesday, December 05, 2018

A Double-Dose of Surrealism


    A little bit of surrealism during one's day always brightens things up.

    A panhandler was playing his trade this morning on the intersection where our corporate office is.  I came upon him around 9:30 as I was doing my morning Fitbit walk around the outside of the office.

    He held a sign that said "Too ugly for prostitution", and was waving to cars going through the light and shouting out numbers by count.  "37!  38!", etc.  He'd also stoop down a bit and wave to motorists stopped to make a right-hand turn at the intersection.  "39!"

    I tried to avoid eye contact with him as I passed him by.  But he looked at me, gave me a big smile, and waved.  I couldn't help it, I had to wave back.  "40!" he cried.  "40 smiles today!"  And I beamed a bit more at the morning surrealism I found myself participating in.

    He was still there when I did my Fitbit afternoon walkabout, around 2:30"How many smiles are you up to now?" I asked.

    "I'm not sure.  I do some of the counting in fractions (half-smiles?, thought I) , and I'm not very good at arithmetic."  And that was my afternoon dose of surrealism.

    FULL DISCLOSURE: The above picture is not of him.  I pulled it off the internet.  I still wasn't ready to risk setting him off by snapping his photo.

No comments: