Friday, July 14, 2017

Driving on a Runway


    True story - once upon a time, I drove on an airport runway, illegally, and in a VW beetle.  It was obviously a very small airport, called Starlight Field, IIRC, and located in Chandler, Arizona.

    I got on it accidentally, but I admit, I was aware of what it was immediately, and I thoroughly enjoyed fish-tailing down the gravel runway.  What I didn't count on was the airport's keeper living in a house at the end of the runway, coming out to see my antics, and jumping in his pick-up and giving chase.

    At the runway's end, there was a bit of a rut, then a curb, then a road again.  So it was easy to make my escape.  Alas, a VW Beetle with a driver and three passengers is no match for a guy in a pick-up, and he eventually caught up to me, and flashed his lights for me to pull over.  Which I did.

    He asked me if I knew I was on an airport runway, and I said, "Sure.  But once I was on it, I figured the quickest way off was to drive to the end."

    He accepted this story (It pretty much was the truth), and we parted on amicable terms, after he warned me that I could've been hit by an airplane landing there.

    It should be mentioned that when he pulled me over, and got out of his truck to come talk to me, my three passengers were all telling me to put the Beetle in gear and flee the scene for Phase 2 of The Chase.  I resisted the temptation.

No comments: