Thursday, February 02, 2017

The U-Haul Interview


    More than 4 decades ago, I applied for a management job with U-Haul, since they're headquartered here in Phoenix.  There were two parts to the process - a math part (these were in the days before pocket calculators), and an interview.

    The lady who interviewed me said they'd never had anyone score as high on the math section as I did.  Alas, then came the Part 2: The Interview.

    She asked me open-ended questions - what were my goals in life, where I wanted to be in 10 years, what was my idea of a good time, etc.

    And I stupidly answered them all truthfully.  Think hippie-dippie, flower child responses.

    At the end, she sighed and said (and I can quote this verbatim): "You realize you totally blew the interview, don't you?"  I was crushed since at the time I was working for slave wages in a gas station.  Needless to say, I didn't get the job.

    But all's well that ends well.  A month later, I interviewed for a job as a chemist (which is what I have a degree in), acted like an overjoyed puppy in the interview, exaggerated a lot, got the job, and have worked there now for 40+ years.

No comments: