Thursday, April 07, 2016

Book Excerpt for the Day


    “He won’t release me,” Suke smiled cheerfully.  “He’ll order me hanged and display my head on a pole as a warning to others.  I don’t mind.  Death will free me to enter my next incarnation.  This time, I hope I return as a cat.”

    “A cat.”  Hiro had to ask.  “Why do you want to become a cat?”

    Suke’s lips curled into a knowing smile.  He raised a hand to wipe the tendril of drool that started down his chin.  “Cats catch mice.  Mice eat grain.  Grain makes sake.  As a cat, I’ll find a brewery and kill its mice.  The grateful owner will give me a bowl of sake every day!”

    “Cats don’t drink sake,” Hiro said.

    “I would,” Suke said.

    (from Flask of the Drunken Master by Susan Spann)

  8*/10.  The complete review is here.
.

No comments: