Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Word For The Day - Gunwale


    As shown in the diagram.  I'd call it the railing, but hey, I'm a landlubber.  It shows up in the lyrics of the song The Mad Sailor by the Danish Folk Power Metal group Wuthering Heights, although I've run across it in books before as well.

    It rates being dubbed Word for the Day because of its pronunciation.  It's "Gunnel", not "Gun-Whale" which is the way I've been mentally saying it all my life.  Who knew?!

   The made-up word "Misanthropoetica" also shows up in the lyrics of that song, which is way, way kewl.  Go find the YouTube video of this, it includes the lyrics.

    And FWIW, Wuthering Heights is a fantastic band.  I've been playing the piss out of this CD on my morning commute for about a week now.

   

No comments: