Sunday, February 09, 2014

It was 50 years ago today...


    That the Beatles invaded America.  And to celebrate it, there's a huge Beatles Special on TV tonight.  With everybody who is anybody showing up.

    Johnny Depp, Jeff Lynne, Joe Walsh, Stevie Wonder, Keith Urban.  And a gazillion more, I'm sure.  The show's just getting started.

    I readily admit that the impact the Fab Four had on music is second to none. And 500 years from now, the songwriting team of Lennon-McCartney will be recognized as the greatest of the last half of the 20th century.

    But as for their music itself?  I found it to be good, but not great.  Too much "pop" and not enough "rock & roll" for my taste.  And as for the half-century-old question, "Beatles or Stones", my answer has always been "The Doors".

No comments: