Saturday, February 17, 2007

Getting LP's at an auction is like...

LP's from an auction are like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get. Today I "won" 300 LP's at the city auction. Six big cases of unseen vinyl. I outbid several other vinyl aficiendos (sp?) who were probably Used Record Stores. I won't give the $$$ I spent, except to say it came out to about 30 cents per disc.

The other time I got vinyl thru an auction (about 15 months ago), I got about 120 LP's. About half were rock-&-roll, and about 75% were in too bad of shape to play on the turntable.

This time, only about 5% of the LP's are unplayable. But there's no R&R. Just a bunch of (mostly) 50's/60's "easy listening" stuff - the kind my Dad used to have. "Artists" like Jackie Gleason, Benny Goodman, Englebert Humperdink, etc. And a host of unknowns of the same ilk.

Here's one example :


References to Bridie Gallagher can be found on Google, but she doesn't even rate a listing in Wikipedia. She's an Irish singer from the 1950's. About as exciting as the Lennon Sisters, singing "traditional" (for that time) Irish melodies. But without an Irish accent, fake or otherwise.

My dad would love this album. I prefer U2. But I'll listen to a bunch of these (and scan and post their album covers here), just so Liz won't yell at me for wasting money. Oh yeah, the six big cartons of LP's are cluttering up half the floor in the computer room. It won't be long before I'm given an ultimatum about that.

Economically, the most fascinating portion of this lot was about 30 old 78's. Alas, my turntable doesn't play that speed. So I think I may post those to eBay to see what kind of $$ they fetch. Gotta recoup some of my outlay.

Anyone interested in owning this fine LP, Bridie Gallagher - Moonlight in Mayo (circa 1958), drop me a line. Soon. Otherwise, it has a life expectancy of a kitten at the city pound. If no one picks it up in 72 hours, it'll be put to sleep.

No comments: